Vision and Mission
The Division of Finance is a trusted, collaborative partner in advancing Virginia Tech's regional, national, and global impact. This partnership includes:
- Supporting the implementation of the university's strategic plan
- Providing responsible and transparent generation, allocation, and stewardship of resources
- Providing financial management, planning, reporting, expertise, and insights
- Developing innovative and efficient administrative systems and business processes
- Providing exemplary customer service to students, parents, faculty, staff, and other constituents
The mission of the Vice President for Finance is to provide primary support to university leadership in identifying, obtaining, and allocating resources needed to achieve the university’s mission and the goals and objectives of the university’s strategic plan; to provide exceptional service to its internal and external constituents; and to establish sound business and financial management policies and procedures that promote transparency, accountability, inclusion, diversity, and the use of resources in an efficient and effective manner.
We envision achievement of this mission through the pursuit of the following long-term strategic goals:
- Leverage the different backgrounds and perspectives of a diverse and inclusive workforce to support managerial decision making and develop innovative solutions to challenging problems through sound financial management practices, extensive financial planning, and development of resource enhancement strategies.
- Develop and maintain active relationships with key operating units and leaders, staff, and legislators within the Executive Branch and the General Assembly to ensure a positive and effective working environment for the university, and to position the university for enhanced resources and continued advancement.
- Provide support for and embrace continuous improvement of the university's internal operations, excellent customer service, diversity and inclusion efforts, and enhancement of effective business practices through the provision of quality services and resources - which are both responsive to the needs of the university community and customers and which leverage technology to streamline operations and improve processes, programs and services.
- Support existing partnerships and engage in new partnership opportunities with business, industry, corporations, and the community and to foster improved supplier diversity.
- Provide management oversight and assessment of the university's financial and business processes, including financial relationships and adherence to state and federal regulations and requirements; continue the emphasis on restructuring and maximizing the authority granted by the Restructured Higher Education Financial and Administrative Operations Act; and promote an operating environment that ensures integrity in these business practices and compliance with the university’s business conduct standards.
- Attract, recruit, develop, and retain a diverse and vibrant workforce through the facilitation of strong mentoring relationships, the provision of foundational succession planning and knowledge transfer, and the growth of an inclusive culture that relies on employees’ rich backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and sense of belonging.